July 8, 1999

Bethany Officer Begins Recovery 2nd Surgery Repairs Arm

By Bob Doucette Staff Writer

A Bethany police officer who was run over by a motorcyclist is recovering from two surgeries, including the amputation of his left leg above the knee. Timothy McCarthey, 25, was in fair condition Wednesday at Integris Baptist Medical Center, hospital spokesman Damon Gardenhire said. He underwent surgery Sunday after a motorcyclist who was running from police ran him over while driving more then 70 mph. On Tuesday, McCarthey again went into surgery to repair his left arm, which was broken in two places. Bethany Police Chief Neal Troutman said the third-year officer is doing remarkably well. "Tim's got a great attitude", Troutman said. "It wouldn't surprise me if he wants to get his prosthesis on and get after it." Meanwhile, the suspect in Saturday's collision remained in the Oklahoma County jail. Jason Michael Hollingsworth, 21, of Yukon is being held on complaints of attempted murder, reckless driving, attempting to elude police, maiming, driving without a license and driving with a suspended license.

The Crash occurred when police say a man tried to outrun them while driving on NW 39 in Bethany. The chase went through Bethany, then reversed back into the city after the man turned around. Speeds in the chase were near 90 mph at times, Troutman said. Numerous police officers were near NW 39 because of a holiday weekend celebration being held in a nearby park. Bicycle patrol and foot patrol officers were on duty and tried to assist in capturing the motorcyclist. McCarthey, a member of the department's bicycle patrol unit, was standing on the side of the road when the man veered then ran over him. The man tried to run away on foot, but Hollingsworth was quickly captured. Hollingsworth has had trouble with police before. Court records show that he was arrested for drug possession in 1997, for which he was given a five year deferred sentence. He is awaiting trial for a misdemeanor domestic violence charge stemming from a Feb. 4 incident.